The Concrete Sink


Before and after shots...



1. The mold. I used a concrete form usually used for house piers. I cut it in half lengthwise and screwed each side into a frame. I cut cardboard to form the ends and covered all the rough edges with duct tape. I added sides and put a bead of silicone to seal cracks in the form. The sink drain is held in place with duct tape and supported from beneath with wood blocks.

2. Nick cut hardware cloth to line the inside of the form and he and I poured the mold and formed the sink. We used 3 bags of quickrete fiber reinforced mix ( I would choose another concrete next time, I think. The aggregate turned out to look great but was very difficult to keep in place on the vertical surfaces of the sink mold. It kept rolling down...) I added a bottle of acrylic fortifier, a bag of perlite, and two bottles of colorant, brown and brick.

3. I used a grinder with a masonry grinding wheel to shape the sink.

4. I used a bag of quick patch and concrete colorant to coat the entire sink in order to fill small voids in the concrete. I mixed this to a pudding-like consistancy and applied it with a rubber squeegie.

3. I then polished the sink with diamond discs from , $6.85 each, dry polishing. I used 100, 200, 400, 1500, then 3000 grit.

...ground and polished...

4. I sealed the sink with Miracle Super Seal, a penetrating sealer. After letting the sealer dry for 12 hours, I waxed the sink with Butchers Wax.

The drain.

Running water!